It's that time of year again! Break out your W2s and all of your receipts, because tax season is here. Now is the time when many of us are scrambling to complete our taxes, mainly because there is a pot of gold with a refund check in it at the end of the rainbow. So, what are you going to do with your tax refund? Since I am known to get all up in your business, I have a few suggestions! Take them, or leave them, but I'm giving them! Enjoy!
1. Save or Invest It - Saving your refund is probably the simplest thing you can do. Maybe you're saving for a wedding...or a new baby...a new home...or a vacation. In any event, your tax refund may be a good place for you to start. If investing is your thing, it may be a good idea to meet with a financial planner who can highlight favorable investment options.
2. Reduce Your Credit Card Debt - So, you overdid it during the holidays and maxed out your credit cards. Or maybe you encountered an emergency and needed to use your credit cards to get through a tough time. The truth is that credit card debt is a reality in many of our lives. In order to alleviate the agony of making monthly credit card payments, use your tax refund to pay off, or pay down, your balances. Your credit score will thank you!
3. Make an Extra Student Loan Payment - I am well aware of the fact that my mere mention of a student loan payment makes you want to gag. But think about this: if done every year, using your tax refund to make an extra student loan payment could dramatically reduce your payoff time. Did I get your attention?
4. Invest in Bettering Yourself - As professionals, our careers are our bread and butter. Many of us are so invested in our careers that we strive every day to be the best at what we do. Why not spend some of your tax refund to make yourself a better professional? You can use your tax refund to take a continuing education class, or enroll in an education program that will help you advance to a higher position, or be better in your current position. Upward mobility is always a good thing!
5. Give to Charity - Do you have a charity that is near and dear to your heart? If so, why not make a donation to the charity in your name. You would be contributing to a great cause, and you could possibly write off your donation on next year’s taxes. Double win!
Okay, I'm done sticking my nose in your business! Whatever you choose to do with your tax refund, spend it wisely...it only comes around once a year!