Burgers With Blue Cheese Mayo and Sherry Vidalia Onions
|Photo Credit: Anna Williams; Styling Credit: Pam Morris|
Looking for a quick and easy meal to whip together after working hard all day? Well never fret, because I have a delicious burger recipe that is out of this world! I found this recipe last year in my favorite cooking magazine, Cooking Light, and it quickly became a favorite in my home. The best thing about this recipe is that it doesn't take very long to execute. The other great thing is that it is pretty healthy, which I know is very important to many of you (and me too!). Try this burger, and I guarantee that it will become a favorite in your home as well!
In the spirit of full disclosure I must tell you that I always use ground turkey patties when making these burgers, and I always use a George Foreman grill to cook them...don't be judging! Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin (I use ground turkey!)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices Vidalia or other sweet onion
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine 1/2 cup blue cheese, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon thyme, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl; stir well.
- Divide beef into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and salt.
- Brush oil evenly over both sides of onion slices; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place the patties and onions on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Set patties aside; keep warm. Place onion slices in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 5 minutes; toss with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and vinegar.
- Spread cut sides of buns evenly with mayonnaise mixture. Arrange 1/2 cup arugula on bottom half of each bun; top with 1 patty, 1 onion slice, and bun top.