My 6 Favorite Moments From The 2014 Grammy Awards!
Monday, January 27, 2014
Let me get right into it! In what has become a tradition here on the Chronicles, here are my favorite moments from last night's Grammy Awards!
6. The Mass Wedding - The entire Grammy telecast lasted almost 4 hours. Needless to say, they almost lost me about half way through...my attention span is not that great. So when LL Cool J announced that Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Queen Latifah, and Madonna were next up to perform, I was perplexed. Enough so that I hung around to watch. And boy was I happy that I did. How beautiful was it to see 30+ couples get married in a mass ceremony?! At the Grammys! With Queen Latifah officiating...and Madonna serenading! I loved the entire performance, especially the message it sent: love is love!
5. Pink the Acrobat - Anybody who can be suspended in the air with a rope while being twisted and turned upside down and still belt out a hit song and sound amazing is alright by me! Pink did that!
4. The Robots - Daft Punk is dope! Always have been. That being said, I really enjoyed seeing them being recognized for their talent. I loved that their album, Random Access Memory, received so many nominations and wins. And I loved that they performed one of my favorite songs of 2013, Get Lucky. Speaking of their performance, how great was it to see Stevie Wonder up there singing with Pharrell! Seriously though, I really enjoy the Robots' music, and I enjoy when talent is celebrated. And their acceptance speeches...priceless!
3. The Carters - Say what you want about Beyonce, but the girl is an entertainer in the true sense of the word. And you can't hate on that! Mrs. Carter took the stage last night with her bob and a chair, and she slayed! And once my favorite rapper and fellow Brooklynite hit the stage, I was all in. What a great way to start a long night! The Carters' performance was sexy, provocative, and entertaining on every level. And their chemistry is undeniable, which made for a fabulous performance. Bravo to the Carters!
2. Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragon - If you follow me on Twitter, then you know how I feel about Kendrick Lamar. The kid is talented...period! So I was really excited to see his performance with Imagine Dragon. Radioactive is a great song, and I was anxious to see the dynamics between Imagine Dragon and Kendrick. Hands down, this was the best performance of the night! Seriously, the show could have ended right there, and I wouldn't have been mad. This performance combined two of my favorite songs (Radioactive and M.A.A.D City), drummers, lights, and smoke...it was perfect! So of course I downloaded this version of Radioactive on iTunes first thing this morning, Like I said...best performance of the night!
1. Summertime Nostalgia - Well, my Number 1 Grammy moment was not any of the performances or speeches or introductions. As many of my regular Chronicle readers know, I spent the entire summer of 2013 on maternity leave; I spent my days and nights getting to know and taking care of my precious Mini Me. The two of us spent many of those warm summer days and nights listening to music, singing, and dancing...it became part of our daily routine. Several of the songs that were featured during our daily dance parties were nominated for Grammys and featured on the telecast last night. Songs like Daft Punk's Get Lucky, Bruno Mars' Treasure, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' Can't Hold Us, Justin Timberlake's Suit and Tie, and Jay-Z's Holy Grail. Hearing these songs last night transported me back to the summer I spent with my newborn baby. I smiled every time I heard one of "our" songs, and I alerted the Stud whenever one played. The fact is that 2013 was a great year for music, and I was so happy to experience a good amount of it with Mini Me. As such, my favorite moments of the Grammys occurred throughout the telecast. The music will forever be a reminder of the best summer of my life!
Did you watch the Grammys last night? What was your favorite moment?